One of Hawaii’s greatest cultural destinations, Keauhou is surrounded on the north coast by the beautiful Kahaluu Bay, and with Holualoa, the renowned coffee plantation, on the slopes of Mount Hualalai beyond. Keauhou is ideal for water sports such as snorkelling, scuba diving and kayaking with its perfect water temperatures throughout the year. Keauhou in ancient times was a favourite getaway of many a Hawaiian royalty that lead to its culturally rich heritage of heiau temples, ancient fishponds and a number of historically important sites. Keauhou also has a number of golf courses, spas and restaurants along with a thriving social community.

These factors make the place not only an ideal holidaying spot but also provide the ideal atmosphere to live in. Some information on various aspects of life in Keauhou has been outlined below.


As of the 2011 CDP census, the population of Keauhou is about 25,132, registering a growth of about 47% from 2000. About 16.2% of the residents are below 18 years of age while the remaining 83.8% are above 18. There are 12,622 men and 12,510 women in Keauhou, constituting a balanced 50.2% and 49.8% of the populace. The estimated median household income is $65,189 and the median house/condo value is $530,858.

According to the census race data, the majority of the population consist of Caucasians, who constitute 60.1% of the entire populace. Asians comprise 9.9%, Islanders 8.2% and Hispanics 9% while the rest of the population consists of Blacks, Indians and others. There are 2,715 housing units in Keauhou, 53.6% of which are occupied.


Keauhou enjoys comfortably moderate temperatures throughout the year ranging from 18 to 23 degrees Celsius throughout the year. The average maximum temperature is 29.16 degrees Celsius while the average minimum temperature is 21 degrees Celsius. The highest temperatures are recorded in August while the lowest temperatures set in during the months of December and January.

The water temperatures range from about 24 degrees to 27 degrees Celsius, keeping them comfortably warm and enjoyable throughout the year. The total precipitation in Keauhou over the year is 11.13 inches which ranges from 0.46 to 1.86 inches per month with the highest rainfall in December and the lowest during the month of June.


While many good schools and colleges are available in the adjacent Kailua-Kona, very few are found in Keauhou, two of which are the Hawaii Montessori School and the Makua Lani Christian High School. Both of these are private schools and have facilities for students from kindergarten to grade 12. 

The University of Hawaii in Hilo and the junior college, Hawaii Community College are both situated about 53 miles from Keauhou.


The labour force in Keauhou is 1,515 and the employment growth from 2000-2011 has been a modest 33.1%. About 32.93% of the working population has a Bachelors Degree or higher while 93.20% have a high school degree or higher. 

The unemployment rate in Keauhou is about 9.50%. The maximum working populace in Keauhou are employed by private companies which account for almost 80% of all jobs. State and government workers constitute the next highest subgroup while self-employed and private not-for-profit wage and salary workers are ranked next. 

Community Activities

The annual Earth and Ocean festival is popular among both locals and visitors. The festival showcases Hawaiian cultural practices with Hawaiian film presentations, performances by hula artists and other activities.